Privacy Notice of Globe SuiteTM
Last Updated: April 2020
Welcome to Globe Suite™ by Globe Electric! At Globe (“Globe” or “we“), we take your privacy very seriously. Globe is a consumer goods company that manufactures a wide range of smart home products that can be controlled through our mobile APP. This privacy notice explains how we collect, use, disclose, store and protect your personal information when you use our Globe Suitetm APP and products that you connect to it (collectively, the “products“).
When we use the following terms in this privacy notice, this is what we mean:
- “personal data” refer to information that identifies you, either from that information alone, or from that information combined with other information we may have about you;
- “smart device” refers to those nonstandard computing devices produced or manufactured by hardware manufacturers, with human-machine interface and the ability to transmit data that connect wirelessly to a network, including smart home appliances, smart wearable devices, smart air cleaning devices;
- “App” refers to the Globe Suite™ APP which allows you as an end user to control your Globe smart devices remotely.
What information do we collect
In order to provide the Globe Suite™ APP, we collect various types of information, which may include personal data, as detailed below:
Information you provide to us:
Globe Suite™ Account Information
Personal data that is collected while creating a Globe Suite™ Account may include information like your nickname, profile picture, email address, phone number, country and time zone.
If you use our mobile video monitoring and alarm features, we will collect the pictures and/or videos taken with your Globe camera.
Contests or other promotions
If you decide to participate in one of our contests or other promotional events, we will collect information necessary to administer and manage these contests, such as your first and last name, email address and account information.
Information we automatically collect:
User Device Information
When you use our products, we automatically collect user device information such as your device model, MAC address, IP address, wireless connection information, operating system type and version, unique device identifier, Globe Suite tm App version number, push notification identifier, log files, and mobile network information.
Smart Devices Related Information
- Information from your Globe Smart Devices: when you connect your Globe smart devices with our APP, we collect information about your Globe Smart Devices such as device name, device ID, online status, activation time, firmware version, and upgrade information.
- Information Reported by your Globe Smart Devices: depending on the Globe Smart Devices you elect to connect to our APP, we will collect information reported by your Globe smart device. For example, turning a Globe Smart bulb on/off, changing color or brightness level.
We collect your infrared remote control information which is needed to control infrared equipment with the Globe Suite™ App.
User smart scenes and automations
If you use certain customized scenes and automations features of your Globe Suite™ APP (such as a timed schedule or automated dusk to dawn feature), we will collect information such as your location and time zone.
Statistical and other usage information
We keep track of user activity and performance metrics related to your use of the Globe Suite™ APP by collecting statistical and aggregated data which do not identify you.
Information collected by cookies and other similar technologies
We use various technologies to collect information which may include saving cookies to users’ devices.
How do we use your information
We use the information and personal data we collect for the following purposes:
- Provide our products: we process your account and profile data, device information, usage data, location information, and smart device related information to provide the products and services that you requested or purchased (including processing your orders, creating your account, administering and managing contests and other promotional events you participate in);
- Improve our products: we process your device information, usage data, location information and smart device related information to ensure the functions and safety of our products, to develop and improve our products and services, to analyze the efficiency of our operations, and to prevent and trace fraudulent or inappropriate usage;
- Non-marketing Communication: we process your personal data to communicate with you in relation to your use of our products, to send you important information related to our products and services such as changes to our terms, conditions, and policies and/or other administrative communications. You may not opt-out of receiving such communications;
- Marketing Communication: we may use your personal data to provide marketing and promotional materials to you related to our products and services. If we do so, each communication we send you will contain instructions allowing you to opt-out of receiving future communications of that nature;
- Legal Compliance: We may process your Personal Data as we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) to comply with applicable laws and regulations; (b) to comply with legal procedures; (c) to respond to requests from public and governmental authorities (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations, business and systems; (f) to protect our rights, safety or property, and/or that of other users, including you; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
We use your personal data in this context based on the contract that we have in place with you or our legitimate interest for security purposes (e.g. the prevention and investigation of fraudulent activities). Your personal data will be deleted based on the terms of the contract.
Who do we share your information with
We will not share or disclose your personal data other than as specified in this privacy notice.
We may share your personal data with the following recipients:
- with our third-party service providers which perform certain business-related functions for us, such as platform provider, website hosting, data analysis, payment and credit card processing, infrastructure provision, IT services, customer support services, e-mail delivery services, and other similar services to enable us to provide our products;
- with subsidiaries or affiliates within our corporate family for purposes consistent with this privacy notice;
- with an affiliate or other third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, amalgamation, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including without limitation in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings;
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) to comply with applicable laws and regulations; (b) to comply with legal procedures; (c) to respond to requests from public and governmental authorities, including public and governmental authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations, business and systems; (f) to protect our rights, safety or property, and/or that of other users, including you; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
You may also choose to connect with third party services such as Google (if you choose to connect the Globe Suite™ APP to Google Assistant) and Amazon (if you choose to connect the Globe Suite™ APP to Amazon Alexa). You should review the privacy notice of such service providers to understand how they process your personal data.
We do not share any personal data for marketing purposes and do not sell personal data.
We use appropriate physical, technical, organizational and administrative security measures to protect any information we hold in our records from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration or destruction. The service provider we use to host our APP has gone through security audits and received an ISO 27001 certificate.
Unfortunately, it is impossible to guarantee complete security. Unauthorized entry or use, hardware or software failure, and other factors, may compromise the security of user information at any time. The security measures used to protect your personal data include having a password to access your account. You can help prevent unauthorized access to your account and device by choosing a strong password and protecting it appropriately. It is also recommended to limit access to your devices and to sign off after you have finished accessing your account.
Information retention period
We will retain your information for the period necessary to achieve the purposes set out in this privacy notice. We may retain it for a longer period if required or permitted by law.
Delete Your Information
If your APP version is at least 3.2, you can delete all the following information by going to your “Profile – Your account (top of page) — Account and Security – Delete account”
- Globe Suite™ Account Information
- User Device Information
- Device Information
- Infrared Information
- User smart scenes and automations
If your APP version is 3.2 or earlier, you may delete your information by contacting us at email@example.com for help.
Your Rights as California Resident
Under the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), California residents have certain rights regarding the personal information that businesses hold about them.
Personal Information We Collect
We collect identifiers (such as name, address, email, phone number, and device information), commercial information (such as geolocation), and Internet or other electronic network activity information (such as usage information, IP address, cookie information, and user feedback).
Why We Collect Your Personal Information
We use identifiers and commercial information to provide the services requested and for general administration, which includes record keeping, troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, and survey purposes.
We use identifiers, commercial information, and Internet or other electronic network activity for trend monitoring, marketing, and advertising, as well as to ensure the security of the Globe Suite™ APP.
How We Collect Your Personal Information
We collect identifiers and commercial information directly from you.
We collect Internet or other electronic network activity from your usage of the Globe Suite™ APP.
Who do we Share and Sell Your Personal Information with
Globe shares personal information as necessary for certain “business purposes,” as defined in the CCPA. This includes sharing identifiers, commercial information and internet or other electronic network activity with providers of other services that you may connect the Globe Suite™ APP to (Google Assistant or Amazon Alexa), or platform providers that we use to offer the Globe Suite™ APP.
Globe does not sell any personal information.
Right to Request Disclosure of information collected
You have the right to request disclosure about the categories of personal information Globe has disclosed for a business purpose and the categories of third parties to whom the personal information was disclosed. Additionally, you have the right to request disclosure of specific pieces of information. Below is a list of the information that you can request:
- The categories of personal information that Globe has collected about you;
- The categories of sources from which Globe collected the personal information;
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling the personal information;
- The categories of third parties with whom Globe shares personal information;
- The specific pieces of personal information Globe has collected about you;
- The categories of personal information that Globe disclosed about you for a business purpose.
If you would like to exercise your right to request disclosure, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Right to Request Deletion
You have the right to request that Globe delete any personal information about your that Globe has collected from you. Please note that there are exceptions where Globe does not have to fulfill a request to delete information, such as when the deletion of information would create problems with the completion of a transaction or compliance with a legal obligation.
If you would like to exercise your right to delete, please contact us at email@example.com
Right to Non-Discrimination
Globe will not discriminate against you (e.g., by denying goods or services, or providing a different level or quality of goods or services) for exercising any of the rights that you have under the CCPA.
If you have any questions or concerns about our privacy notice or how we process your personal data, please contact us at:
Globe Electric Co. Inc.
150 Avenue Oneida
Montreal, QC H9R 1A8
Phone: +1 (888)-543-1388
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We are constantly trying to improve our products, which means we may need to change this Privacy Notice from time to time as well. We will alert you to material changes by, for example, placing a notice on the App and/or by sending you an email when we are required to do so by applicable law. You can see when this Privacy Notice was last updated by checking the date at the top of this page. You are responsible for periodically reviewing this Privacy Notice.